It has been a while since I update this. Well done to everyone & Thank You.
Michael J has belatedly discovered a youtube video that makes him happy. Watch Sweet Brown sing.
MAJOR NEWS: Jennie M's is now a mom. Congratulations to Jennie & Adam on the birth of Tom.
Jennie M's paper on phosphorus runoff based on coral sekeleton analysis is now out in PLoSOne. Yae.
Andrew K & Tegan are officially engaged. Andrew proposed in Andalusia, Spain – what a romantic guy.
MAJOR NEWS: Regina Vega Trejo (from UNAM in Mexico) has started her PhD. Hello Regina!!
Jono H & Hanna K have submitted a paper on evolution of fertilization modes to Amer Nat. Refs – love it!
MAJOR NEWS: Megan H has joined the lab as a post-doc. She will be working on meta-analyses, fish and other fun stuff.
Sandra B & Dom R have a cool study in press at Oecologia on variation in swim phenotype in fish. Congrats.
Megan H has several new papers from her Exeter work appearing. Check out her webpage for PDFs.
Jules L & Andrew K have submitted a paper on comp growth in Gambusia to Evol Ecol. They must accept it.
Dom R & friends had their paper on public data archiving accepted by PLoS Biology. Well done team.
Megan H is frantically preparing her Future Fellowship application. Good luck Megan. Go Megan. Go Megan.
Dom R & Sandra have a swimming energetics paper accepted by J Experimental Biol. Great achievement.
Brian M's sperm quality meta-analysis is now out in Biol Rev.
Soph C, Andrew K and Pat B: paper on the effect of rival presence on calling in crickets out in Behav Ecol.
MAJOR NEWS: Dom R & Sandra B had a short communication in Nature about data archiving. Famous at last.
Jules L, Andrew K & Loekse Kruuk are starting to write up a study on maternal effects in Gambusia.
MAJOR NEWS: Regina VT has had her first paper (from UNAM work) published in Evol Ecol. Congrats
Mike J and Hanna K have a chapter and an online OUP e-resource in press. Check out e-resource (= reading list)
Martin E - we are still hold thumbs for the outcome of his Future Fellowship application. Good luck Martin.
Felix Zajitschek still awaits a decision on his DECRA application. Good luck Felix.
Jac Davis, Isobel B & Brian M along with Shinichi Nakagawa are nearing completion of a meta-analysis.
James D has just returned from three weeks in Greece looking relaxed and happy. We can cure that James!
Jono H is writing up his elegant models explaining why females sometimes trade eggs.
Andrew K, Luke Holman & Pat B revised a cool Behav Ecol paper (we hope) on height & mate choice in crabs.
Jono H is writing up his superclear explanation of how ejaculate size changes with sperm competition.
Jac Davis & Jono H, and who knows maybe some else will soon start collecting data for a gender meta-analysis.
Megan H, Luke H, Andrew K, Rob Lanfear (&…) are working on a paper on statistical biases in biology….
Andrew K is planning a big final experiment on OSR and habitat complexity.
Andrew K is writing up his model on how mortality during parental care affects sex allocation.
Dom R gives his final PhD talk on Nov &. He will hand in early December. Almost Dr Roche.
- Jennie M's is well on the way to becoming as mom. So yes, you can ask about the bulge. It is a baby! Sweet.
- Soph C is now Doctor Sophie Callander!! Congratulations Soph. Soph has every chapter in her PhD Published!!!
- Regina Vega Trejo (from UNAM in Mexico) will start a PhD in October. Welcome Regina.
- Martin E - we hold thumbs for the decision on his Future Fellowship application. Good luck Martin.
- Alex Jordan is a dad. YES! He is off to Texas for a post-doc in Mike Ryan's lab. We hope to see you at ANU in a few years time!
- Felix Zajitschek awaits a decision on his DECRA application. Good luck Felix. Meanwhile he is off to Washington DC.
- Dom R and friends have submitted a paper on public data archiving to PLoS Biology. Fingers crossed.
- Isobel B, Lisa Schwanz & Hanna Kokko's paper on sex allocation is now out in Evolution. Let the citations begin.
- Soph C & Andrew K's paper on the effect of rival presence on calling in crickets was accepted at Behav Ecol. Wow Wee!!
- Sandra B & Dom R's have submitted a paper on adaptive plasticity to Proc Roy Soc B. Holding thumbs.
- Former post-doc Clint Kelly and Mike J had a fish biogeography paper accepted at Evol Biol. Thanks Clint!
- Brian M's penis paper appeared in P.N.A.S. The resultant publicity was massive. Hundreds of websites. Many interviews.
- Mike J's dorky youtube video on Brian's penis study is the 8th most viewed of all time on the ANU Channel. Sex sells.
- Isobel B's paper on male mate choice in Gambusia is now out in Animal Behaviour. Congrats.
- Sandra B & Dom R's paper on metabolic rate measures is out in J. Experimental Biology. A big achievement.
- Dom R & Sandra B 's paper on the effect of a parasite on laterality in a fish was accepted by Behav Ecol Sociobiol. Great news.
- Jennie M's latest paper on calcification in corals in now out in PlOSOne. Great going. Read it.
- Dom R & Sandra B 's paper on the prevalence of an ectoparasite of a reef fish is now out in Aust J Zool. Good set up for next papers
- Catherine Hayes, Isobel B and Pat B's paper on age and waving in crabs is out in Biology Letters. Tre Cool. Now for robocrab one...
- Sandra B & Dom R paper on ectoparasites being a drag for swimming fish is out in Biology Letters. It is a really fun study.
- Jac Davis, Isobel B and Brian M have finished a meta-analysis and are writing it up. It will be a good one (we hope).
- Jono H is very close to finishing write up his project of the evolution of fertilization modes. It is going to be a monster paper.
- James D is sexing fish & measuring photos for seasonal sex ratio data. He will soon be on 3 weeks holiday in the NT. Hang in there!
- Jono H is working out why females sometimes trade eggs.
- Soph C & Andrew K with Pat B's paper on claw shape and mate choice in fiddlers is out in Behav Ecol Sociobiol. I like it.
- Soph C's paper on how neighbours affect crab attractiveness is now out in Behav Ecol.
- Jess B's paper with Pat B from a few years ago on crab fighting and density was accepted and is already out in Animal Behaviour. Yes.
- Mike J is a parasitic coauthor on a cricket paper from work done a few years back by Will Pitcher (Exeter). Thanks Will.
- Andrew K & Pat B's paper on temporal changes in mate choice in fiddler crabs is out in Behav Ecol. A classic study. Cite it.
- Andrew K‘s & Hanna K's paper on sex ratios & overlapping generations is now out at Nature Communications! A major acheivement.
- Brian M's sperm quality meta-analysis is still in press at Biol Rev but online version is now available.
- Jac Davis won a scholarship for an MSc at Cambridge (UK). Congratulations. She is still working on a meta-analysis with Jono H.
- Andrew K, Luke Holman and Pat B are still shopping around a cool paper on elevation and mate choice in crabs. It is a cool study.
- Jules L & Andrew K have five pages left to write and then a paper will be submitted to Ecol & Evol.
- The Handbook of Meta-analysis in Ecology & Evolution is finally published. I have several coauthored chapters in it. BUY HERE
- Andrew K and Co are working on a paper using a new test to look for publication bias in biology...watch this space.
• Andrew K‘s & Hanna K's paper on sex ratios & overlapping generations is now in press at Nature Communications!!! Well done!
• Jac Davis has joined the lab to help with various meta-analyses, and see if she likes evolutionary biology. Check her webpage. Welcome
• Soph C & Andrew K paper on effects of the presence of a rival on calling in crickets is now in revision at Behav Ecol
• Sandra B & Dom R have had their paper on metabolic rate measures accepted by J. Experimental Biology. Great work.
• Brian M is very close to getting his penis paper into P.N.A.S. Watch this spot.... It is going to be big (inuendo intended)
• Soph C & Andrew K paper on effect of claw shape on mate choice in fiddler crabs is in revision at Behav Ecol Sociobiol
• Andrew K & Pat B's paper on temporal changes in mate choice in fiddler crabs is in press at Behav Ecol. Fantastic work.
• Andrew K & Luke Holman have a fiddler crab paper with Pat Backwell in review at Biol Letts. Holding thumbs.
• Dom R & Sandra B had their paper on prevalence of an ectoparasite of fish formally accepted by Aust J Zool. Well done.
• Dom R & Sandra B & have submitted a paper on effects of an ectoparasite on lateralization in a fish to Behav Ecol Sociobiol. Please like it...
• Martin E is submitting a Future Fellowship. Good luck Martin.
• James D is still hard at work collecting fish to look at seasonal changes in offspring sex ratio.
• Jess B & Pat B had a paper on age-dependent changes in density and fighting in fiddler crabs provisionally acccepted by Anim Behav.
• Jono H is now write up his Honours thesis, while also working out how and why to trade eggs.
• Jac Davis, Isobel B and Brian M are working on a meta-analysis.
• Felix Zajitschek is preparing a DECRA for the current round. Good luck Felix.
• Alex Jordan visited and is considering putting in a DECRA next year. He is also almost a new dad. Congratulations!!!
• Jules L & Andrew K have write up her Hons project. All that is left is the Discussion and it will be submitted to Ecol & Evol.
• James D has finished collecting the spring set of Gambusia to obtain offspring sex ratios. Autumn sample is next (but hopefully that is a ways off). He also looked after all the fish over the Xmas and New Year break. Thanks so much Jaymz.
• Jules L & Andrew K have started to write up her Hons project. YES!!!!! Paper 1 (of 2) will be submitted in February. Right Jules?
• Iso B, Mike J & Hanna K have a short comment on gender & sex roles in Trends Ecol Evol.
• Catherine Hayes, Isobel B and Pat B now have a paper in press at Biol Lett about changes in courtship effort with age in fiddler crabs. Not bad for a lawyer!
• Brian M has his meta-analysis on sperm quality formally accepted by Biol Rev. Nice.
• Jennie M has a paper in press at PlosONE on Trinidadian reef calcification.
• Jono H starts his PhD, co-supervised by Hanna K. Welcome back Jono. First task will be to write up his medal-winning Honours thesis.
• Soph C handed in her PhD Thesis just before Christmas. Congratulations Soph. Party will happen soon….
• Soph C & Andrew K submitted a paper on the effect of claw shape on mate choice in fiddler crabs to Behav Ecol Sociobiol. Cross knees.
• Soph C & Andrew K submitted a paper on the effects of the presence of a rival on calling in crickets to Behav Ecol. Hold thumbs.
• Andrew K‘s & Hanna K resubmitted a revised version of a paper on sex ratios & overlapping generations to a major tabloid journal. Fingers crossed.
• Andrew K & Pat B are revising his paper on temporal changes in mate choice in fiddler crabs to send back to Behav Ecol. Tap on wood.
• Andrew K, Lisa Schwanz and Hanna K submitted a paper on the evolution of male parental care and mate guarding to Evolution.
• Andrew K & Luke Holman completed two very successful fiddler crab project with Pat Backwell in Darwin. Both projects went REALLY well and MS will soon be submitted.
• Dom R & Sandra B have got referee feedback and are now revising their paper on how unsteady water flow affects swimming in a labriform fish for J. Experimental Biology.
• Dom R & Sandra B have got referee feedback and are now revising their paper on prevalence of an ectoparasite of fish for Aust J Zool.
• Sandra B & Dom R have got referee feedback and are now revising their paper on methods for measuring metabolic rate in fish for J. Experimental Biology.
• Dom R & Sandra B have submitted a paper on how waves affect variation in damselfish to Oecologia. Make it so.
• Dom R & Sandra B & have submitted a paper on effects of an ectoparasite on lateralization in a fish to Biol Letts. Please like it...
• Mike J has a paper in press at J Evol Biol on the P-matrix in crickets. This is all thanks to Will Pitcher and John Hunt (no, really, in the case I did actually do nothing).
• Martin E is writing up his very cool study on genetic diversity and productivity, plus a bunch of other papers. More info coming soon....
• Mike J, thanks to the lab efforts of Kate Umbers & Scott Keogh, has his first primer note. I think it is on DNA. It is 25 microsats forGambusia holbrooki. Published in Aust J Zool.
• Jess B & Pat B have submitted a paper on how age-dependent changes in density affect fighting in fiddler crabs to Anim Behav. You know you want to accept it….